R S Prasanna

Spam that tries to be literature.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Aadhe Adhure

jaage hain dher tak
hamen kuch dher sone do
thodi se raat aur hai
subah to hone do
aadhe adhure khwaab jo
pure na ho sake
ek baar phir se neend mein
woh khwaab bone do

Gulzar, in the movie 'Guru'

An attempt at translating only the content, as nothing in my ability can match the craft or spirit of the original.

"I have worked all night
Please let me sleep a while
There's still some darkness left
The Sun is asleep, afar

And all those little dreams of mine
That could never come true
Once again let me take them with me
And sow them back again"

I came across this song in its original Hindi version, after having liked the music of the Tamil one.

Gulzar is brilliant. I loved his movies and always thought he was way ahead of his times (and the audience showed they were, too, by making his movies hits). I am a great fan of his.

Oh, and btw, this has NOTHING to do with his Oscar, or the most-abused Jai ho.

I swear the timing of this post is a genuine coincidence.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lancelot said...

I thought of commenting EK GAON MEIN EK KISSAN RAGHU THATHA when i started reading it then luckily saw the eng translation...and thalai- I have written a letter to AMPAS about slumdog in my blog please drop in if u find time...

12:34 AM  
Blogger Sravanthi said...

Gulzar is a genius! And compared to his standards, 'Jai Ho' is very very mediocre.

A cousin of mine had made me notice the lyrics of this song. Simply beautiful!

My all time favorite however remains 'Tujhse naaraz nahi zindagi' from 'Masoom'. No other song has captured pain so eloquently. Oh and Gulzar and Pancham da together! Words fail me!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Praveen said...

Jaage hain is my fav dude! Gulzar is amazing. As Sravanthi mentioned the Masoom number is close to my heart. Musafir hoon yaaron, the evergreen song zindagi from Anand, Aanewala pal jaane wala hai from Golmaal, Mera kuch saaman, Dil Se re are my favourites.

Just love these lines in Dil se re;

dil hai to phir dard hoga
dard hai to dil bhi hoga
mausam guzarthe hi rehthe hain

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gulzar is amazing for sure.Most of Kishore daa's songs carry a deep understanding of life in the most mesmerising tunes possible.You should check those old numbers.I assure you that vyou will reach a new world altogether.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home