R S Prasanna

Spam that tries to be literature.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mozart the Vulgar

(One beautiful line from the
extraordinary movie, "Amadeus." )

Mozart has just written an opera about a
prostitute. He is to stage it for the king, under the King's
patronage. But when the King hears about the topic chosen by Mozart,
he is applalled.

"I trusted you Mozart, so much as not to even check upon your work.
Today, I did, and today I regret! A prostitute! Appalling."

The other jealous Noblemen salivate in anticipation of the King
devouring Mozart, their prey.

"But King..."

"Shut up! So it is true what they say! You philander, your eyes and
morals wander! And today you plan to bring your filth on to my stage!"

Mozart's eyes moisten.

"Sir, I," Mozart swallows the lump in his throat. "Sir," he continues,
"I am vulgar."

The king waits.

"My work is not."

("Amadeus" written by Peter Schaffer, for stage and film)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home